War in Islam is Never Holy; It can Only be Just or Unjust
Seeking Islamic Knowledge is equivalent to Jihaad
Seeking Islamic knowledge is one of the best righteous deeds, and in fact is equivalent to Jihaad for the sake of Allah, as Allah, may He be blessed and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):“And it is not (proper) for the believers to go out to fight (Jihaad) all together. Of every troop of them, a party only should go forth, that they (who are left behind) may get instructions in (Islamic) religion, and that they may warn their people when they return to them, so that they may beware (of evil)” Q9:122 Liqa’ al-Baab al-Maftooh (2/164). At-Tirmidhi (2685) narrated – and classed the report as saheeh – from Abu Umaamah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Verily Allah, His angels, and the inhabitants of the heavens and the earth, even the ant in its hole and even the fish, send blessings upon the one who teaches the people good things.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh at-Tirmidhi. Majmoo‘ Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-‘Uthaymeen (25/306-307). The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: ““Whoever calls others to guidance will have a reward like that of those who follow it, without that detracting from their reward in the slightest.” Narrated by Muslim (2674)
Reasons for Jihaad
Reasons why Jihaad for the sake of Allaah is prescribed in Islam include:
- To make the people worship Allaah alone and to bring them forth from servitude to people to servitude to the Lord of people, to establish the rule of His sharee’ah, and to bring people forth from the injustice of other religions to the justice of Islam. Q8:39, Q9:14-15, Q8:60, Q2:193, 8:39, Tafseer Ibn Sa’di, p., 98, al-Bukhaari (24), Muslim (33), Ahmad, 4869; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2831, Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 28/17
- To prevent the aggression of those who attack the Muslims. Q2:190, Q9:13
- To remove fitnah (tribulation) Q4:75
- To protect the Islamic state from the evil of the kuffaar. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) encouraged that as he said: “Guarding the border for one day for the sake of Allaah is better than this world and everything in it.” Al-Bukhaari, 2678.
- To expose the hypocrites Q47:20, 3:179
- To purify the believers of their sins and ridding them thereof Q3:140-142
- Ridding the world of corruption. Q22:40, 2:251, al-Jawaab al-Saheeh, 2/216 etc.
Jihaad is, without doubt, the pride of Islam and of the basis of Islam and the verses and hadiths regards this are known to create a safe space for the free practice of Islam.
May Allaah grant us understanding and protect Muslims around the world.